Beehive manufacturers generally use the same measurements when making hive bodies. There may be slight differences, but not very much. That means that you can usually use different brands of beehives together.
The tables below include a measurement for the interior length and width because the exterior measurements can sometimes vary depending on the material used.
10 Frame Langstroth Hive Dimensions
|Type||Depth||Interior Length||Interior Width||Exterior Length||Exterior Width|
|10 Frame Deep body||9 5⁄8 inches (240 mm)||18 3⁄8 inches (470 mm)||14 3⁄4 inches (370 mm)||19 ⅞ inches(504 mm)||16 inches(406 mm)|
|10 Frame Medium body/super||6 5⁄8 inches (170 mm)||18 3⁄8 inches (470 mm)||14 3⁄4 inches (370 mm)||19 ⅞ inches(504 mm)||16 inches(406 mm)|
|10 Frame Shallow super||5 7/8 inches (144 mm)||18 3⁄8 inches (470 mm)||14 3⁄4 inches (370 mm)||19 ⅞ inches(504 mm)||16 inches(406 mm)|
As you can see, Langstroth hive boxes use the same length and width. The exterior of a traditional box is 16″ wide by 19 7/8″ long. However, the depth changes depending on if it is a deep, medium, or shallow box.
- Deep: 9 5/8″
- Medium: 6 5/8″
- Shallow: 5 7/8″
Benefits of 10 Frame Langstroth Hives
Due to having more frames,10 frame Langstroth hives can hold more honey than 8 frame hives. A deep frame can hold 6 pounds of honey, a medium can hold 4 pounds of honey, and a shallow holds 3 pounds of honey.
- Deep (19 inches x 1-1/16 inches x 9-1/8 inches) – 6 Pounds Honey
- Medium (19 inches x 1-1/16 inches x 6-1/4 inches) – 4 Pounds Honey
- Shallow (19 inches x 1-1/16 inches x 5-3/8 inches) – 3 Pounds Honey
Knowing this, it is easy to calculate how much honey a 10 frame hive can hold vs an 8 frame hive. For example, in a 10 frame hive, a deep super will hold 60 pounds of honey, while in an 8 frame hive a deep super will hold 48 pounds of honey.
It’s easy to see why commercial beekeepers will use 10 frame hives to produce honey. You do get significantly more with 10 frames vs 8.
Of course, that also means that there is a big weight difference between 10 and 8 frame supers when full of honey. See the chart below for a comparison of the weight of an 8 and 10 frame box when full of honey.
Approximate weight of a box when full of honey:
|8 Frame||10 Frame|
|Shallow||32 lbs||40 lbs|
|Medium||40 lbs||50 lbs|
|Deep||64 lbs||80 lbs|
So, while 10 frame hives are better if you want to produce a lot of honey, be aware that the boxes will be heavier as well.
10 frame hives tend to be shorter than 8 frame hives. 8 frame hives will fill up faster than 10 frame hives, requiring more boxes to be stacked on top. This is something to consider if you have problems with reaching tall hives.
Tall hives also have an increased risk of tipping over, especially in windy or rainy weather. So, if you live in an area that gets a lot of wind, you may want to get the shorter 10 frame hive.
10 frame hives will usually have less boxes than 8 frame hives. That means that there are less boxes for you to buy and less boxes for you to inspect.
Recommended 10 Frame Langstroth Hives
Disclosure: As an affiliate I may earn from qualifying purchases. This is at no cost to you and helps to keep this website running.
Hoover Hives 10 Frame Wax Coated Beehive
Hoover Hives is known for their high quality, yet affordable wax coated beehives. They make both 10 frame and 8 frame hives, complete kits, frames, parts, and supplies.
See my full review on Hoover Hives here.
- Wax coated wood is sustainable and protective.
- Wax coated wood is more easily accepted by bees, keeping them calm and happy.
- Comes with frames and beeswax coated foundation in both black and yellow.
- Telescoping top cover is made with galvanized steel to protect the hive from the elements.
- Pre assembled solid bottom board keeps bees warm in the winter.
- Hive dimensions are consistent with industry standards. Hives are interchangeable with other brands.
- Precision cut dovetail joints for easy assembly.
Busy Bees ‘n’ More 10 Frame Beehive
The interesting thing about Busy Bees ‘n’ More hives is that they are all made by highly skilled Amish woodworkers using responsibly sourced wood. Busy Bees ‘n’ More sells 8 and 10 frame hives, supplies, and a starter kit including a bee suit and accessories.
See my full review on Busy Bees ‘n’ More here.
- Made in the USA.
- Made of Eastern White Pine, a durable wood that is resistant to rot.
- Precisely cut finger joints makes assembly quick and easy.
- Wood is unfinished, so you can decide to paint, stain, or wax the hive.
- Standard dimensions – can be used with other brands of beehives.
- Affordable and very good value for the money.
10 frame Langstroth hives are the most common type of beehive used by modern beekeepers. All beehive manufacturers generally use the same measurements when making hive bodies. When looking at 10 frame Langstroth hive dimensions, take note of the interior measurements, as the exterior measurements can sometimes vary depending on the type of material used.